BEFF 6 – Raiding the Archives
6TH BANGKOK EXPERIMENTAL FILM FESTIVAL
MAAP SPACE Gallery 2, Screen 1
Program 1: Poetics of Longing
Curated by David Teh
Modern communications has brought mobility and the conquest of distance. Our digital networks promise even greater proximity and immediacy. But can we live without yearning?
PROGRAM DURATION: 81 MINS (LOOPING)
1. Lalita, Tanatchai Bandasak, 2009. 5:00 mins
An experimental video portrait of Thai actress, Lalita Panyopas. Found soap-opera footage is spun and stretched into a haunting study of memory and distance.
2. Chai Wan Ni (Now Showing), Nitipong Thinthupthai, 2009. 21:00 mins
At the fringes of the nation, the Spectacle has yet to displace the rhythms of the Festival. A sentimental glimpse of the enduring traditions onto which the moving image has been grafted.
3. Four Boys, White Whiskey and Grilled Mouse, Wichanon Somumjarn, 2009. 10:00 mins
A candid sketch of the isolation underpinning a young life, touched by untimely loss.
4. 0016643225059, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 1994. 5:00 mins
During a long absence from home, memory and longing pervade the everyday space of an apartment.
5. Letter to Sri Moh, Jay Santiphap Inkong-ngam, 2011. 8:00 mins
A letter, tracing the fine line between personal experience and official history, now retraces a path travelled long ago.
6. Galanusathi, Sittiporn Racha, 2010. 29:00 mins
Distance seems to collapse in a tragic instant, as civic strife is brought home to the periphery. Based on a true story, a powerful x-ray of a broken polity.
7. Air Cowboy, Tanatchai Bandasak, 2010. 3:00 mins
An impressionistic collage of life on the move, far from the bright lights of the metropolis.